The multi-faceted transformations that businesses are undergoing as they move to, or grow in, the Cloud makes them prime targets for more sales information. Across the tech sector, sales and marketing executives agree that marketing automation platforms offer valuable benefits to target the various personas in a technology buy. They automate the process of delivering targeted, customizable content to a variety of prospects at every stage in the buyers’ journey. But automation alone, doesn’t ensure you tell the right story to the right audience at the right time.
One often missed advantage of marketing automation is the insights it offers into the messaging that best resonates with your audience. Leveraging this information allows you to gain a deeper understanding of their needs, helps you build stronger relationships with them, and drives faster conversion. Only when you infuse your messaging with insights uncovered through campaign analysis, will you be able to leverage these robust platforms to truly accelerate your sales cycle. So how do you ensure you tell the right story to the right audience at the right time?
3 Keys to Optimizing Your Tech Sales Messaging
1) Insights. Your marketing and sales experts know your personas and processes best. Their expertise is the starting point for your marketing automation efforts. Without their collective knowledge about what works and what doesn’t, customization will be infinitely more difficult. Layer that expert knowledge in with the insight you learn through campaign analysis and you’ll have a recipe for accelerating revenue and converting buyers into long-term technology customers.
2) Collaboration. Sales and Marketing alignment is no longer an added bonus – it’s a requirement for ensuring success in today’s buyer driven technology market. That doesn’t mean everyone needs to have access to your marketing automation platform, but they do need to be part of the process that determines how you leverage it to message to your audience. At a minimum, sales and marketing will need to answer the following questions:
- Who are you going to target? It’s probably not just one persona. Today’s tech buyers are often within the line of business.
- Where are the stages of the buyers’ journey? You may need different journeys for each persona.
- What marketing materials answer the questions your buyers’ are trying to answer at each stage in the journey? It is critical to have content that addresses each persona’s needs and pain points
3) Analytics. The process doesn’t stop once you’ve implemented your marketing automation platform and created programs based on your buyer’s journey. Remember: there’s nothing automatic about marketing automation. Ensure you analyze the results and optimize your messaging throughout the campaign. The data may uncover disconnects between the story you’re telling and the one your buyers’ need to hear to close the deal.
The promise of technology is a more efficient, effective, and targeted sales process. Marketing Automation has the ability to fulfill that promise, but only when properly managed. It still requires human insights and collaboration – and most importantly, optimization, to drive revenue results.
As experts in outsourced Inside Sales for technology solutions, we at N3 leverage Marketing Automation to support our customer campaigns as well as our own marketing efforts. We see it as a critical piece of a larger technology stack that, when leveraged together, creates a powerful, successful technology sales engine.
Looking for more insights on how to optimize your technology solution sales message? Check out our Message Optimization eBrief.
See the full series on 6 technologies that are key components in a successful, modern Inside Sales strategy to drive technology solution sales.
About Marcel Florez
As N3 President and worldwide lead for N3’s Microsoft relationship, Marcel applies his deep experience in technology sales, marketing, and consulting and extensive knowledge of the Cloud to support demand and revenue generation for N3’s technology and software customers.