How to Turn Your Sales Team into a Virtual Selling Machine
More than half of the B2B sales leaders surveyed by McKinsey said virtual selling could be just as effective as field sales or even more so.
Buyers were also twice as likely to give their business to sellers who delivered outstanding digital experiences. It’s critical your sales teams have the skills to exceed buyers’ expectations and drive revenue in this virtual world.
The first step is to determine what new needs have emerged and how to get solutions in place. Think about what gaps exist and how sales support needs to change.
Ask Yourself Six Questions
- How much virtual sales experience does each of your sales reps have?
- Are your sellers task based or centered on customer propensity?
- Do they have a real-time, 360-view of the customer?
- Is your outbound strategy sound?
- Do you have processes in place to monitor the right seller KPIs for a virtual environment?
- How easy is it to scale audiences across buyer personas, profiles, or geographies?
Be aware of persistent misconceptions about virtual selling, such as it’s less engaging, it’s only appropriate for small accounts, and it won’t last. These simply aren’t accurate. The fact is, virtual selling is the new normal and is here to stay. According to recent research by Bain:
- 75% of B2B buyers found the virtual sales process as effective as a traditional process or were neutral about the experience
- 35% of B2B buyers have bought solutions priced $500,000+ virtually
- 80% of B2B sellers and buyers expect virtual selling to increase
Evaluate Your Approach
Building relationships with prospects and customers remotely is vastly different than in person. Sales reps that once had no problem building rapport with a prospect may find themselves struggling to convey enthusiasm, deliver a clear and succinct pitch, or maintain strong eye contact with the camera on a video call. Some are happy to be off the road – and some are miserable.
Assess your team’s virtual readiness. Look at each seller’s skills, characteristics, preferences, and opportunities in a virtual context.
Take the Next Step to Virtual Selling Success
Keep informing and evolving your sales team’s ability to grow business digitally. Read N3’s eBrief: Virtual Sales Is Here to Stay.